LABORATOIRE AGUETTANT : Over 100 years of innovation
For over a century, the Aguettant family has been running a laboratory specialising in injectable solutions.
Aguettant’s roots are in rheumatism. In the 1830s, Noël Crolas developed the Cocheux tincture for rheumatism and gout in his pharmacy.
Noël’s son, Ferdinand Crolas, sold the tincture to his brother-in-law, Louis-Joseph Aguettant, a chemist and a businessman, in an effort to secure the long-term future of the small family business.
In 1880, the latter founded Tavernier et Aguettant with the pharmacist, Bruno Tavernier.
The laboratory’s mission was shaped by its keen interest in the works of Gabriel Pravaz, who perfected the syringe, and in Ferdinand Crolas’ work on antipyrine.
In 1903, Louis-Joseph’s grandson, Noël Aguettant, who was also a pharmacist, moved to the Quai Fulchiron to take over his forbears’ activity and to develop a new technology: injectable medicines.
In 1835, Noël Crolas extracted alkaloid from an autumn crocus bulb in his pharmacy in the Rue Farges in Lyon, and developed the Cocheux tincture, designed to treat rheumatism and gout.
The product remained on sale for more than 150 years, until the 1990s.
At that time, it was the oldest medicine in the Vidal, the French reference directory of medicines.
The Tincture of colchium, the Crolas pine bud syrup and pastilles made the reputation of the laboratory in the nineteenth century.
These products allowed the company to invest in research to become the French market leader in injectables in the twentieth century.
Family-owned since the company was established in 1903, Laboratoire Aguettant has become an established partner in healthcare.
We now have a strong international presence in over 70 countries worldwide and are focused on long-term success, from organic growth, with simultaneous openness to partnerships and strategic alliances.